Travelling to Townsville North Queensland? Great choice! Here is everything you know about this little slice of paradise, to make the most of your stay.
Located in the dry tropics region of Queensland, and a gateway to the central section of the Great Barrier Reef, Townsville North Queensland is the perfect blend of tropical sea breezes, glorious winter days, and refreshing rainforest retreats. With more than 300 days of sunshine a year. the average climate in Townsville North Queensland is a tropical 28 degrees.
We're offering peace of mind and the flexibility to change your stay
Plans put on hold by COVID-19 travel restrictions*?
If your booking is impacted due to COVID-19 travel restrictions and you notify us in writing (via email) within 48 hours of the relevant announcement, you are eligible for any of the following options:
- Credit voucher for the full value of your booking;
- Free changes to dates or details of your booking;
- Receive a full refund* (less the booking fee of $2.75).
*Refunds will be assessed based on individual circumstances. Operator cancellation policies may override these terms and conditions.
*Affected by travel restrictions means any booking that is scheduled during the period of restrictions or within seven days of travel where the time period has not been defined, that:
- Can’t be accessed due to border closure or lockdown impacting travel.
- Has introduced different quarantine, entry or testing requirements to when the booking was made.
- Has restrictions in place that would require you to quarantine before/after returning home.
- You are impacted by the travel and/or disease control restrictions implemented by your local authorities or the Queensland authorities.
- You have been diagnosed, are awaiting test results or are suspected of being infected with COVID-19 by health authorities.
To contact us, please call our friendly Visitor Information Centre staff on (07) 4721 3660 or email us at [email protected]
Be free to explore Townsville North Queensland with your own hired set of wheels!
Vehicles of all shapes and sizes are available for hire in Townsville and on Magnetic Island. Grab the keys and hit the roads.
*Road rules and insurance requirements apply. Please discuss with individual hire companies.
- Car rentals are available from the Townsville Airport - visit https://www.townsvilleairport.com.au/ for individual operators.
- Hire cars on Magnetic Island are available in all shapes and sizes, including the iconic topless mini!
Put the pedal down, and explore the tracks and trails around Townsville by bike.
Townsville North Queensland is easily accessible via all means of transport, including:
Travel to Townsville North Queensland by road and spend time on a driving holiday of our region, to take in all the wonderous landscapes on offer!
Townsville Airport is the gateway to North Queensland, Located a short 7-minute drive to the Townsville Central Business District, the Townsville Airport is a transport hub offering pick-up points for taxis, ride shares and the airport shuttle* (bookings required). Rental cars are also available from the airport.
The Spirit of Queensland travels to Townsville multiple times per week (departing Cairns or Brisbane), with a number of our regional centres also services by Queensland Rail. Contract Queensland Rail Travel to book your seat.
Townsville is a unique and welcoming destination for cruise ships with a dedicated cruise terminal at the Port of Townsville in the Quayside Terminal.
Getting around our beautiful region is easy!
Taxi services operate in all regions of Townsville North Queensland and can be contacted on:
- Townsville - 13Cabs on 132 227 or Checkered Cabs on 131 974
- Burdekin, Ingham and Charters Towers - Australia Wide Taxi on 131 008
Townsville Airport is the gateway to North Queensland, with regular services from across Australia arriving at our centrally-located terminal a number of times per day, all week!
To visit our island paradise of Magnetic Island, you'll need to take one of two ferry options across the 8km stretch of ocean, making the connection quick and easy:
- Passenger ferry - board a Sealink Queensland vessel from the Breakwater Terminal for a quick 20-minute journey, with onboard facilities and canteen, wheelchair accessible, and pet-friendly. Services also available to Palm Island.
- Car and passenger ferry - if you're looking to take your vehicle to the island, then drive onboard Magnetic Island Ferries, for a convenient 40-minute trip. Passenger-only tickets also available.
Queensland Rail is the largest and most comprehensive network of long distance and tourist trains in the nation. Ever-reliable, the Spirit of Queensland services Home Hill, Ayr, Townsville, Giru, Townsville, and Ingham every five days/week. While the Inlander services Townsville and Charters Towers twice/week.
Get between our regions by bus for an economical and easy way to travel. With Greyhound Australia, Bus Queensland and Premier Motor Service operating from Townsville (in all directions), it's simple to explore the regions!
Take the local bus to get around Townsville and the outer suburbs with ease. Visit Translink for the latest timetable.
For a different way to explore Townsville city, try the new e-scooters available for hire on most street corners simply using a free App. Standard road rules apply, and location and time restrictions are also in place. Visit https://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/ for more information.
Home to a diverse ecosystem of wildlife - on land, and in our coastal waters, here are a few tips to make your interaction with our furry, feathered, and scaly friends an educational, and safe one!
- Keep your distance (unless on a tour with an accredited Ranger/handler) - our furry friends (koalas and rock wallabies to name a few) look cuddly, but need their space. Admire from afar, and make the most of your zoom setting on your camera!
- Feeding wild animals - best to keep your snacks for you, and leave our critters to find their own lunch.
- Stinger season occurs every year from November to April - best to swim in stinger net zones or wear a stinger suit.
- Be Shark Smart and Crocwise when visiting our coastal waters to have a safe swim and experience!
Pack for warm weather - expect warm summers and mild winters in Townsville North Queensland, with over 300 sunny days every year.
When it comes to what to wear, casual, lightweight clothes are reliable. But no matter what time of year, a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen are always recommended alongside a long-sleeve shirt to protect you from the state’s strong UV rays.
The average climate in Townsville North Queensland is typically a tropical 28 degrees.
Summer (December-February): 25°C to 30°C
Autumn (March-May): 18°C to 30°C
Winter (June-August): 14°C to 25°C
Spring (September-November): 18°C to 30°C
Find comprehensive weather information and warnings via the Bureau of Meteorology.